Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One.

Throughout the whole story, italics represent flashbacks.

Rae's POV

"And you fly out to Chicago tomorrow morning?" I ask while finishing rubbing in the lotion on my legs before removing my glasses and sitting them on the bedside table. I then remove the book from my lap, fold the page I'm on under and sit it next to my glasses before turning my lamp off and snuggling down in the bed and waiting for him to turn his lamp off too, but that of course isn't going to happen until he's done watching film.

"Yeah. I'll be back Tuesday," he replies while never taking his eyes off the TV screen. To any other girl, this might offend them. And a year or two ago, it probably would have offended me too. But this is what we've grown accustomed to, so it's not as if it's an odd happening. "The guys want to go out when we get back, is that fine with you?"

And this is what makes me cringe.

First off, if you are thinking I'm insane, you are probably right. I have Sidney Crosby, Prince of Pucks, in my bed, and I'm afraid to go out in public with him. But the tension in my shoulders does not go unprovoked.

I see him catch his breath, hold completely still to see if the tension fades, and when it doesn't he sighs. "Rae, it's just for lunch."

"With a bitchy waitress, and a jealous cafe owner."

"Stop it," he interjects in a stern voice. "I don't know why you are so dramatic about everything. You use to be able to handle my life, and I just don't know anymore," he finishes before clicking the remote and making the TV turn off. And that's when I panic, because there was four minutes left in the third, and we never end film early. "You use to not be so clingy, so helpless."

"You use to be a tad more sensitive too," I mumble to myself before rolling over on my side.

"What was that?"

"Nothing Sid, let's go to bed." And then I wait for it. Wait for him to roll over and snuggle with me like he use to. Wait for him to hold me close, inhibiting me from getting out of his strong grasp even if I wanted to. But it never happens.

Instead, he sighs in frustration before sweeping my hair off of my neck and lightly kissing me on the shoulder and then rolling over himself, so that we are butt to butt and turning off his lamp before snuggling in for the night too.

And this is when the tears silently begin to fall from my eyes as sleep suddenly evades me.

3 comments:

  1. I am veryyyy excited that you are writing a Sid story. You have amazing skill, please don't stop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finnaly! A Sid story where he's not a helpless romantic or a drammatic side figure. Keep it up please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! You've opened this up for anonymous comments. You are such a talented writer. I'm glad to see you're getting back at it again!
    I'm extatic that it's a Sid story, although it has started on a sad note, you no doubt will make this an intriquing story. Please, please post again soon.

    ReplyDelete